Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Post Graduate Life

A thought..."Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." - 1 Peter 5:7

As of August 17, 2009, I have embarked on the third month of post graduate life. I must say it is great to be free from the rigors of undergraduate life, but I loved UVA and I miss it (more so missing the trees, the lovely peeps I met, and the experiences I gathered). Now, I can't go back to being an undergrad. Tear. However, I am growing in this time (while I am home temporarily). I've been applying for jobs constantly, studying for the GRE, making decisions and considering options for my future. I do say I want to be a physician, but sometimes I feel like I can go in another direction with my life with the skills and gifts I possess. I would love to do multiple things, but I can't be superwoman. I'm working to simplify my complexities, but there's so much in me that could be a blessing to others.

As I was telling someone on the phone the other day, I've wanted to be a doctor since I was in the second grade. However, as I reflect on that choice from whence I was quite young, I also must consider my motivation behind wanting to be a doctor at the time. It could have been for the money at the time, but now I see my desire to be a doctor as a service, of helping underprivileged families receive proper health care...educating people about chronic diseases and promoting healthy eating behaviors. There is no need to worry. I know God will lead me in the way that He requires me to go forth and would not have me to do something I didn't want to do. Wherever I go, He is with me. He keeps me. He renews me. He strengthens me.

I share this with you to encourage to not give up or give in. You may be a post graduate...looking for job/even have a job/pursuing graduate school and still trying to decide what exactly is it that you're going to do. People are nagging you here and there. You don't want to disappoint yourself or those surrounding you. Aha! The thing is...do NOT put your heart's desires in your own hands or in control of other people, you have to give your desires to God, that they may align with the plan He has for your life. I definitely encourage you to have a goal book...write down your goals, all your hopes, dreams, and aspirations and look at them everyday so you can be reminded of what you are here to do, so that you will keep your eyes on the prize, and pray that God will guide you. Things you are passionate about don't rest upon your heart for no reason at all. God gives it to you!!!

It certainly helps to have a plan...In Habakkuk 2:2, God answered: "Write this.Write what you see. Write it out in big block letters so that it can be read on the run. This vision-message is a witness pointing to what's coming. It aches for the coming—it can hardly wait! And it doesn't lie. If it seems slow in coming, wait. It's on its way. It will come right on time. (The Message)" God's got it! He knows your ins and outs, your flaws and all. In order to hear what He is saying to you, you have to be prepared by spending time in His word and seeking His face day in and day out. He will fulfill the desires of your heart on His timing....we just have to be willing to give all our fears and worries to Him and trust, hope, pray, and persevere in all our doings, that we give our best!

No comments: